Fyrom’s Border Authorities Hassle “Unpatriotic” Travellers to Greece
15 August 2008 | Fyromians headed to Greece for the holidays complained that they are being singled out and harassed by Fyrom’s border authorities, national media reported on Thursday.
All buses with FYROM tourists entering or exiting Greece are being stopped on the border and people’s baggage gets thoroughly checked, the Dnevnik newspaper reported. While Fyromians face delays of about three hours, Serbian and other foreign tourists entering Greece through Macedonia are being let across the border without any hassle.
Greek border authorities, according to information published in the national newspaper Express, are letting through all visitors, including Fyromians, without any problems.
Fyrom’s border authorities’ move is part of the long-running dispute between Greece and Fyrom over the latter country’s constitutional name, which has been a thorn in Greece’s side since the People’s Republic of Macedonia was established as part of the newly proclaimed Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia in 1946.
The dispute resurfaced again when the country became independent in the early 1990s and has gotten even more heated in the past several months. A failure to find a name that is acceptable to both FYROM and Greece led to Greece’s veto over Fyrom’s NATO candidacy earlier this year. Negotiations between the two countries recommenced in July in New York and are still on-going.
Although Fyrom’s authorities are in the spotlight for their actions now, Greece has also had its fair share of strong reactions against Fyrom and Fyromians. For example, as BalkanTravellers.com reported in May, the country put an embargo banning trains coming from FYROM territory on average every other day for 80 work days.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- ΠΟΥΛΑΝΕ τον ΟΤΕ στη Deutsche Telekom… ΠΟΥΛΑΝΕ και την ονομασία της ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑΣ; - April 18, 2011
- Αρχαία Ολυμπία – Λίμνη Καϊάφα: Γη των Θεών και της Ειρήνης - April 18, 2011
- Παίρνει τις περιουσίες των Ελλήνων της Χειμάρρας το αλβανικό κράτος! - April 18, 2011
Want more of this? See these Posts:
ΔΕΝ ΕΠΙΤΡΕΠΕΤΑΙ Η ΑΝΑΔΗΜΟΣΙΕΥΣΗ ΧΩΡΙΣ ΑΔΕΙΑ
Το History-Of-Macedonia.com επιτρέπει την αντιγραφή Υλικού (κείμενα/εικόνες, κτλπ) από την Ιστοσελίδα/Iστολόγιο του, ΜΟΝΟ ΕΦΟΣΟΝ έχει προηγηθεί έγγραφη ή ηλεκτρονική άδειά του.
ΓΙΑ ΕΠΙΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΑ ΜΕ ΤΟ ΙΣΤΟΛΟΓΙΟ:
- Macedonian-era tomb opens to the public in Thessaloniki
January 14, 2017
- Ίβ.Ντάτσιτς: Λάθος που αναγνώρισε η Σερβία τα Σκόπια με το συνταγματικό τους όνομα
January 3, 2017
- Καλή Χρονιά – Happy New Year
December 30, 2016
- «Πράσινο φως» για έργα ανάπλασης στην Αμφίπολη
December 19, 2016
- «Οδηγίες για τη μεταθανάτια τύχη των ψυχών» δίνει ο περίφημος πάπυρος του Δερβενίου
December 19, 2016
HISTORY OF MACEDONIA INDEX
- Albanian Propaganda
- Alexander the Great
- Ancient Historians
- ancient macedonian cities
- ancient macedonian ethnicity
- Ancient Macedonian History
- Ancient Macedonian Kings
- Ancient Macedonian Religion
- Byzantine writers
- Cyril and Methodius
- deca begaltsi
- E-mails from readers
- Falsified ancient texts
- FAQ on Macedonian Issue
- FYROM Human Rights
- FYROM news
- FYROM Propaganda
- General News
- Greek Revolution 1821
- Hellenic language
- Macedonian Culture
- Macedonian news
- Macedonian Symbols
- Medieval Macedonian History
- Modern Historians
- Modern Macedonian History
- Religious Discrimination
- rosetta stone
- Skopjan Propaganda
- Thessalonike & Other Macedonian Cities