Fig. 171. Excavations at ancient Pella.
(Photo Ph. Petsas)
Of Pella, so famous in antiquity, nought remained, says Beaujour, but a few insignificant ruins (though in the light of modern archaeological research these have proved to be of outstanding importance) (see figs. 171, 172). Beaujour believed he could detect the outlines of a magnificent harbour and traces of the canal linking it with the sea . Pella
extended also over the hill that rises a little to the north of the lake. It is interesting to note that the village which now stands on the site of ancient Macedonia’s capital was called Ta Palátia (The Palaces). It used also to be called Áyii Apóstoli (Holy Apostles), or in Turkish, Allah Kilise (Church of God) . The popular name of Ta Palátia recalls the splendours of its ancient past and rightly fixes the site of ancient Macedonian’s capital city.
Fig. 172. Ruins of ancient Pella.
(Photo S. Iordanidis)
At the beginning of the 18th century Bulgarian tenant farmers had been settled at Pella , on about 60 estates of more or less uniform
Fig. 101. Las Incantadas.
Fig. 54. The ancienl theatre of Thasos.
(Photo S. Iordanides)
(Nic. Nicolay, Les navigations, pérégrinations etc., Anvers 1577)
excavated and brought to light in the neighbourhood of Philippi.
Fig. 74. Ruins of ancient Philippi.
Fig. 98. The ancient agora of Thasos.
Fig. 5. The assension of Alexander the Great.
(Α. Κ. Orlandos, Νέον ἀνάγλυϕον τῆς ἀναλήψεως τοῦ Μ. Ἀλεξάνδρου, ΕΕΦΣΠΑ 5 (1954-1955) 285, plate 2b)
Fig. 6. Digenis Akritas fighting a lion.
(St. Pélékanidis, Un bas-relief byzantin de Digénis Akritas, «Cahiers Archéologiques» 8 (1956) 217)
Source: History of Macedonia 1354-1833 – A. Vacalopoulos
Latest posts by Antiochos (see all)
- Ο Bουκεφάλας του Μεγάλου Αλεξάνδρου - February 14, 2012
- Επίθεση της κυβέρνησης Χριστόφια στον Αρχιεπίσκοπο Κύπρου - December 25, 2010
- Υπέρ της ονομασίας «Σλαβομακεδονία» ο Μπουτάρης - December 22, 2010
Want more of this? See these Posts: