Thursday, May 6, 2010
Future of the European Court of Human Rights and Bosnia and Herzegovina on the agenda of the Council of Europe’s Committee of Ministers
Strasbourg, 06.05.2010 –
The Ministers for Foreign Affairs or State Secretaries for European Affairs of the Council of Europe’s 47 member states will meet in Strasbourg on Tuesday 11 May.
Micheline Calmy-Rey, Head of Switzerland’s Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, will chair the official session, which begins at 9.30 am. Items on the agenda include:
- Follow-up to the High-level Conference on the Future of the European Court of Human Rights (Interlaken, 18-19 February 2010),
- Action taken by the Council of Europe following the conflict in Georgia,
- Relations between the Council of Europe and the European Union,
- Reform process of the Council of Europe.
Strategic role and responsibility of the Council of Europe : Bosnia and Herzegovina will be discussed by ministers during the informal working lunch, focusing in particular on the December 2009 judgement of the European Court of Human Rights in the case of Sejdic and Finci.
At the end of the session “the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” will take over the chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers from Switzerland for the next six months. Ms Calmy-Rey will present a report on Switzerland’s achievements over the past six months and Antonio Miloshoski, Minister for Foreign Affairs of “the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia”, will present the priorities of his country’s programme.
A press conference with Micheline Calmy-Rey, Antonio Miloshoski, and Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary General of the Council of Europe, will be held at 3 pm (Room 1, Palais de l’Europe, 2nd floor).
Other press conferences may be announced on the spot.
Further information for the press:
- Group photo: before lunch on the stairs leading from the Assembly Chamber up to the Committee of Ministers Foyer.
- The discussions are held in camera. Nevertheless, photographers and cameramen may take photographs for a few minutes at the opening of the session at 9.30 am on 11 May (Committee of Ministers meeting room, Palais de l’Europe, 2nd floor), and at approximately 12.30 pm when Switzerland hands over the chairmanship to “the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia”.
- Interviews may be organised on the spot.
For all further information, please consult the special file www.coe.int
Henriette Girard (Tel. +33 3 88 41 21 41; Mob +33 6 75 65 03 39; [email protected] )
Latest posts by History (see all)
- ΤΑ ΜΑΓΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΦΙΛΑΣ (ή περί της Μακεδονικής διαλέκτου) - October 22, 2012
- Γεράσιμος Ραφτόπουλος : Δεκανέας ετών 12 - October 18, 2012
- Ελληνική επιγραφή από την Λαοδίκεια - October 17, 2012
Want more of this? See these Posts: