PRESS RELEASE 7 September, 2010
AMAC Launches Lecture Program
AMAC Organises a Series of Lectures Australia-wide for West Australian classicist professor and Chicago-based expert in Macedonian studies.
The Australian Macedonian Advisory Council (AMAC) is pleased to announce it has arranged for a series of lectures concerning Macedonian history to be given across Australia by two highly esteemed scholars.
The first of those scholars is Professor John Melville-Jones of the University of Western Australia. The professor is 1 of 7 Australian academics to have signed the Macedonia Evidence Petition (see Friday October 1
– AMAC Annual Dinner Function (622 Nicholson St, North Fitzroy), Topic
Monday October 2
of KassandreiaTuesday October 5Wednesday October
6 – Monash University (Clayton Campus,
Building 13a, Theatre M2), Topic: ‘The Last Days of Byzantine Macedonia‘ at 1.00 pm – Melbourne University (Theatre 1 in the ICT Building), Topic: ’The Deplorable Life and Disgusting Death of Andronikos I’, at 6:30pm
Thursday October 7
Building, East wing, Room E125)
The second visiting scholar is Marcus Templar from the University of Chicago. Mr Templar is a well-known figure in Pan-Mac USA who brings an interesting perspective, having served in the Military Intelligence wing of the US Army working for the National Security Agency (NSA) and Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA). He is an expert in modern Macedonian history and the Macedonian issue.
Marcus Templar’s lecture itinerary is as follows:Thursday September 30Friday October 1Sunday October 3Tuesday October 5
– Fremantle – CanberraHellenic Club of Canberra (Aegean Room), Topic: ‘The Importance of Macedonia in Christianity’, at 6pm – MelbourneAMAC Annual Dinner Function (622 Nicholson St, North Fitzroy), Topic: ‘The History of Macedonia since 1870’, at 7pm – MelbournePan-Macedonian House (470 Queens Pd, Clifton Hill), Topic: ‘The Macedonian Issue Today’ (In Greek), at 7pm – Latrobe University (Bundoora Campus, David Myers – GOCMV (Lvl 3/ 168 Lonsdale St), ‘The ‘Island’’, at 7.30pmhttp://macedonia-evidence.org/). The Petition has now been signed by 332 mostly non-Greek academics world-wide and was sent to President Obama, it urges the President to reverse the US’ recognition of the FYROM as the ‘Republic of Macedonia’ and to ‘help the government to Skopje to realise it cannot build a national identity at the expense of historical truth’.Professor Melville-Jones’ lecture itinerary is as follows:: ‘The Importance of Historical Truth’, at 7pm ‘The Deplorable Life and Disgusting Death of Andronikos
Time: TBAWednesday OctoberThursday October 7Sunday October 10
– SydneyAHEPA Hall (394 Princes Hwy, Rockdale), Topic and time TBA – BrisbaneBrisbane Greek Club and Convention Centre (29 Edmondstone St, South Brisbane) Topic: ‘The transformation of a Slav people to ‘Macedonians’’, at 7:30pm 6 – AdelaideOdyssey Festival, GOCSA (262 Franklin St, Adelaide),University of Notre Dame, Topic: ‘The Instability of Skopje and NATO’, Topic: ‘The transformation of a Slav people to ‘Macedonians’’ at 1.00 pm
AMAC would like to thank the Australian Institute for Macedonian Studies and the
Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne and Victoria for sponsoring the visits of
Prof. Melville Jones and Marcus Templar by covering some of the travel and
accommodation costs. We would also like to thank all those organisations who will be
hosting Marcus Templar while interstate mentioned above, and also the Australian
Hellenic Council in Sydney.
Press Contact:Con Kouremenos
Australian Macedonian Advisory Council
470 Queens Parade
CLIFTON HILL VIC 3068Phone: (03) 9489 3512Email: [email protected]:
Latest posts by History (see all)
- ΤΑ ΜΑΓΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΦΙΛΑΣ (ή περί της Μακεδονικής διαλέκτου) - October 22, 2012
- Γεράσιμος Ραφτόπουλος : Δεκανέας ετών 12 - October 18, 2012
- Ελληνική επιγραφή από την Λαοδίκεια - October 17, 2012
Want more of this? See these Posts: