London Wikileaks Cables:HMG WILL CONTINUE TO ENGAGE WITH ATHENS AND SKOPJE NAME/NATO ACCESSION ISSUE
HMG WILL CONTINUE TO ENGAGE WITH ATHENS AND SKOPJE ON “MACEDONIA” NAME/NATO ACCESSION ISSUE
Ref ID: 08LONDON1112
Date: 4/18/2008 14:00
Origin: Embassy London
Header: VZCZCXYZ0000OO RUEHWEBDE RUEHLO #1112 1091400ZNY CCCCC ZZHO 181400Z APR 08FM AMEMBASSY LONDONTO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 8305INFO RUEHZG/NATO EU COLLECTIVE PRIORITYRUEHSQ/AMEMBASSY SKOPJE PRIORITY 0145
C O N F I D E N T I A L LONDON 001112 SIPDIS SIPDIS DEPT. FOR EUR/RPM, EUR/SCE, EUR/WE E.O. 12958: DECL: 04/11/2018 TAGS: PREL, NATO, EU, MK, GR, UK SUBJECT: HMG WILL CONTINUE TO ENGAGE WITH ATHENS AND SKOPJE ON MACEDONIA NAME/NATO ACCESSION ISSUE REF: STATE 40462 Classified By: Political Minister-Counselor Maura Connelly for reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
1. (C) HMG has been engaging, and will continue to engage with, senior Greek leadership to encourage Athens to be more flexible in its position on the Macedonia name issue. FCO Balkans Group Deputy Director Adam Bye said that the British Ambaasador (HMA) to Greece had met with Foreign Minister Bakoyiani on April 14, stressing many of the points contained reftel. Bakoyiani’s reaction showed little movement from that of the Greek position we have heard over the past few months – that it was Skopje refusing to be flexible, and that Greece has worked as hard as it could within the UN mediating process. According to Bye, Bakoyiani also added that progress was unlikely before the June 1 Macedonian elections. Bye said the FCO would summarize the points contained reftel for HMA in Athens, advise him of the other countries the USG has requested to assist, and ask him to approach the FM once again. HMA may also contact Ambassador Speckhard to discuss joint approaches to the Greek government.
2. (C) Bye underlined that HMG is as concerned as the USG about the Greece-Macedonia impasse, and its impact on the NATO Alliance and Balkan stability and in the longer term, EU unity. He shared a readout of an April 18 video conference which he attended and included representatives from UK Missions to Greece, Macedonia, NATO and the EU: the UK appreciates and will continue to support U.S. efforts to remove the Greek block on Macedonian accession to NATO; the June 1 Macedonian elections represent an additional challenge, and the UK will urge political parties on all sides not to politicize the name issue or appeal to nationalistic instincts to gain support; while the UK shares the U.S. desire that this issue be resolved within the next few weeks, it is more likely to require a “sustained push,” at least until the Macedonian elections; and, the UK will lobby other EU members to exert influence on Athens. Visit London’s Classified Website: XXXXXXXXXXXX LEBARON
Latest posts by History (see all)
- ΤΑ ΜΑΓΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΦΙΛΑΣ (ή περί της Μακεδονικής διαλέκτου) - October 22, 2012
- Γεράσιμος Ραφτόπουλος : Δεκανέας ετών 12 - October 18, 2012
- Ελληνική επιγραφή από την Λαοδίκεια - October 17, 2012
Want more of this? See these Posts: